We are closed to general fiction submissions until further notice.
Original Short Story Submissions
We publish science fiction, anything from
post-cyberpunk to new space opera.
We do not want supernatural horror, urban or heroic fantasy.
No vampires, sparkly or otherwise.
We will consider stories of between 750 and 4000 words.
Maximum story length is 4,000 words, firm.
Payment is .05 per word, on publication.
We do not accept multiple or simultaneous submissions.
Reading the stories we’ve chosen to publish is, of course, the best way to determine the types of stories we prefer.
We have also discussed the types of stories we prefer in interviews at: Duotrope’s Digest, Market Scoops, Sensawunda, Diabolical Plots, and Pubmission.
We encourage you to read these to gain additional insight.
In general, we prefer the manuscript formatting as outlined by William Shunn.
- Double spaced
- 12 pt. Times New Roman or Courier New
- 1″ borders
- Name, contact info, and word count at the top of page one
- Title & page number in header for the rest of the story
- in the subject line include: your full name and story title
- in the body include: your name, contact info, word count, and a short cover letter listing your publication history
- attach your story to the email in Rich Text Format (.rtf) or Microsoft Word (.doc) format
Send the email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may follow our progress through the submissions queue on our status page.
We expect to respond to each submission within two months.
If you have not heard from us by then, please query.
If your new fiction is accepted, we will ask for First World Rights for exclusive publication in the English language for six months, the right to nonexclusively archive the Work online, the nonexclusive worldwide audio rights to the Work & to nonexclusively archive an audio version online, and the right to republish the story in a future Redstone Science Fiction anthology for an additional 1 cent/word.
We look forward to hearing from you.